Credits

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Healthy Tips for Older Mom To Be

I got pregnant when I was in my late 30's. It was an exciting feeling but at the same time a little worried since getting pregnant at that age is considered "high risk." I took the risk of not having an amniocentesis (also referred to as amniotic fluid test)because of some possible complications can result to miscarriage. (but if I get pregnant again, I will surely get this test) Luckily, I had a happy and healthy pregnancy and gave birth to a healthy baby girl. Now she's almost six.

Here are some tips to decrease the risks:

*Get at least 400mg of folic acid each day to prevent birth defects - even before you get pregnant. Eat portified cereals or take multivitamin with this nutrient.
*See your Dr. right away to begin prenatal care. Regular visits will help detect and treat any problems quickly.
*Stay at a healthy weight. You can do this by eating right- stock up on fruits, veggies, and whole grains. Ask your Dr. how to exercise safely.
*Don't smoke, drink, or use illegal drugs. This can cause long term harm to your child.
*Talk with your doctor about genetic counseling and testing. Screening precedures can help you assess your baby's risk for birth defects and make informed decisions.

No comments:

 

ss_blog_claim=11dbf46afee43cadfb622991c31ea766 ss_blog_claim=11dbf46afee43cadfb622991c31ea766